WorldDAB is launching a campaign with the support of its Automotive User Experience (UX) Group members to encourage broadcasters to use their visual assets to keep digital radio prominent in car dashboards.
The campaign underlines the important role visual information now plays in providing a positive digital radio experience for drivers - and it offers guidance to broadcasters on how to use information they already have in the form of metadata to provide a richer experience for the driver.
Metadata enables the visual information, text and graphics (e.g. station name and logo, presenter, song title and album artwork) to be displayed on the dashboard while a specific station is playing, as well as the development of a good hybrid radio user experience.
“Car manufacturers need the confidence that broadcasters are going to provide metadata, and that in turn will ensure that they prioritise the radio user experience in their cars”, said Laurence Harrison, Chairman of the WorldDAB Automotive Working Group. “As car dashboard screens get even bigger, radio station metadata will be even more important to power a rich user experience. It is vital that broadcasters prioritise metadata for car manufacturers to ensure their station information is clearly and correctly shown on dashboards.”
To support the campaign, WorldDAB has produced the following resources to help broadcasters:
- Animated video explaining why it’s important for broadcasters’ stations to have a visual presence in the car, and how this can significantly impact the digital radio experience for drivers
- Information Sheet aimed at senior radio managers and those working at a more technical level giving information on:
- The exact type of metadata the car industry requires
- Why metadata is important for broadcasters and drivers today
- How broadcasters can effectively provide metadata
- Metadata requirements and other technical information
- Video presentation to promote the use of metadata more widely within the broadcasting industry and raise awareness on the importance of metadata
The campaign is part of WorldDAB’s ongoing work to improve the user experience of digital radio in the car. With the European Electronic Communications Code (EECC) directive mandating digital radio in all new car radios across Europe from 21 December 2020, WorldDAB urges broadcasters to prioritise the visual as well as the listening experience of digital radio in the car.